Freitag, 2. November 2007

Out of Sight, director: Stephen Soderbergh

Out of Sight is the story of Jack Foley, bank robber, who escapes from prison and tries to pull off a last coup. It is also an elegant love story that can't have a happy ending. On his flight Jack ends up in the trunk of a car with Karen Sisco, a federal marshal, with whom he falls in love. She, being drawn to him as well, follows him from Florida to Detroit where she finally has to decide what's more important: love or law.

It's hard for me to write anything bad about this film as it is one of my favourite films ever. I'm not a big fan of Jennifer Lopez but in this film she is brilliantly cast as tough Karen Sisco. I have to admit that I remember watching that film in the cinema almost ten years ago, and when George Clooney took of his shirt I just sat pinned in my chair, my jaw dropped open and I gasped. I guess Clooney is responsible for my sexual awakening. I love the story about this love that is just bound to be painful. The film is full of strange characters such as Steve Zahn as slightly dumb accomplice during the flight, or Dennis Farina as Sisco's dad asking Karen's boyfriend, who is married to someone else, questions about adulterous behaviour. It also has a lot of bizarre moments including one of the robbers shooting himself in the head because he trips on the stairs.

But the whole magic of this films comes together for me in the sequence when Karen and Jack meet at the hotel bar in Detroit and pretend to be Gary and Celeste. Everything in this sequence is just perfect, the music, the lighting, the way the dialogue is intercut with what follows after in the hotel room. There is a beautiful sensuality about the whole sequence, and the following quote is for me the outstanding moment of the film:

"It's like seeing a person you never saw before -- you could be passing on the street -- you look at each other and for a few seconds, there's a kind of recognition. Like you both know something. But then the next moment the person's gone, and it's too late to do anything about it, but you remember it because it was right there and you let it go, and you think, "What if I had stopped and said something?" It might happen only a few times in your life."
If you've had such a moment only once in your life you can't ignore the truth of that.

So, 10 out of 10 rough diamonds.