Dienstag, 5. Februar 2008

Whot?

As I spent most of today not doing what I was supposed to do, I'll just go on with it now. (I should be reading Greenblatt. Yessss.) SciFi's press release concerning some cast decisions on Atlantis has caused an uproar in the fandom. But I guess they expected that when they made Woolsey the new leader of the expedition.

Yes, Woolsey. Yes, the half bald guy that used to be a doctor and that has mostly been a constant pain in the ass when he appeared so far in Atlantis. Don't get me wrong, I really like Robert Picardo and I like how he acts the character. But the character himself? Constantly? Whot?

I mean, I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days when I wasn't researching JEkyll and Hyde and preparing the Hamlet thing, and I have come to realize that I miss Lizzie very much. She just has what it takes to be the leader of this expedition. Her skills as a diplomat and language expert were very much wanted in this position. And the focus was not only on four main characters, which is something that I really liked. I think Carter is a great character and as the leader of the expedition the next best thing, but I didn't like her lack of presence in Season 4 very much. Apart from that her skills as a scientist are kinda redundant. We already have two brilliant scientists bouncing off ideas of each other. There was just no need for another one.

As for the comment by Joe Malozzi that Weir was supposed to stay more in the background and be more like Hammond or Landry, why the hell did they then introduce her the way they did? No need to set up this relationship to Sheppard then. That comment sounds like a cheap way to me to suggest that the show was going in some wrong direction then it for sure wasn't.

And now Woolsey. The laughing stock of Atlantis is supposed to be the leader. I really hope this one stays in the background because I seriously don't want to see much of him. And I don't think the character has what it takes to lead Atlantis. Yes, I know the whole thing has some potential in it. It will be interesting to see the team's reaction to his promotion. It will be interesting to see the struggle with his leadership. For about two episodes. Because we have already seen so much of it. Then it might become very annoying. I just don't see him fit in like Weir and even Carter did. And I haven't even started with the annoyed teeny-tiny bit of feminist feeling inside me that sees another man in charge.

This however does not mean that I'll stop watching the show. I like the other characters too much to stop caring about them. I am just disappointed about this.