Donnerstag, 13. November 2008

Have you seen this wizard?

I tend to get those phases of uncontrolled fandoming sometimes, when I am excessive about absorbing everything I can find about my chosen fandom. I blame Hoppi and El and Oxford for the sudden appearance of Harry Potter, though. I guess the mindwarbling undercurrent of forum-fandom-transfer made me buy the Gryffindor-coloured wool a couple of weeks back. Anyways, after finishing The Prisoner of Azkaban in three days I thought I'd watch the film. Guh. Bad idea.

I am not usually someone to complain about cuts being made when you transfer a book to film. Usually I am the one who points out that cuts often have to be made, that simplification of subplots is often a good idea to be able to focus better on the main plotline. However in this case... they cut all the stuff that made me cling to the book last night, not being able to put it away before I had finished it. I know I had seen the film some time last year, but I hardly remembered anything of it when I read the book. And now I know why. So many of the things that made the book such an enjoyable read, the explanation and re-evaluation of things that I knew from the first two novels, were just not there anymore. The backstory of Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs, all the things that happened in the past that are revealed in Book 3 gave the story so much emotional weight. Without that the film hardly conveyed anything for me. The film felt very rushed up until when Hermione used the time-turner. That was the only real twist actually, and I am sure the film works with the one twist, but it just did not for me. Apart from that I was not too happy for the sort of cheap jokes the film went too often for. The maid at the Leaky Cauldron was hilarious; Dumbledore patting Ron's injured foot was not. The hand-camera scenes were too hectic for my taste, somehow attracting too much attention to itself. The scene inside the Shrieking Shack were wonderfully acted, but again felt too hectic. And what I missed most was the sense of threat to Harry and the darkness that originates from that; the fact that he only overhears certain things that he is not supposed to hear. Somehow things didn't form one coherent picture for me.

So, more luck next time. Next week or something I guess, unless I spend all Saturday reading.

2 Kommentare:

Kristina hat gesagt…

I absolutely agree with you on that: The 3rd film is horrible, compared to the book - and I love the book.
What I found particularly interesting is that Hagrid's hut is now on a slope and not on a smooth lawn anymore...
And the werewolf in not like I imagined it... it doesn't have a lot of hair.. and doesn't look like a wolf at all....

Purslane hat gesagt…

Yeah, the werewolf was extremely weird. I mean thin and gangrely like Lupin but not really that scary. The black dog didn't look like I had expected either. But the pumpkin field? Full of those huge pumpkins? In the beginning of summer?

I don't get obsessed about books very often, but I love it, when I stop doing useless stuff, pick up the book and read on, because I can't wait to see how it ends. That's another of the things that I really loved about this one.